Tuesday 12 March 2019

Books read in March, part 1


When a recovering alcoholic and former guitarist returns to play with his old band one last time after reading a mysterious book, he has no idea just what he has let himself in for.

After smashing up his car on the way home, whilst giving one of his former band mates a lift, the lead character soon finds himself caught up in a horrific nightmare from which he can’t seem to escape, as the author of the book subjects him to a night of personalised terror.

Will Haunt You is my14th read of the year, obtained through netgalley in exchange for a honest review, but though I was quite looking forward to reading this, which is why I requested it, I actually found myself starting to struggle somewhere around the half-way mark to the point where I almost, very nearly, considered just throwing in the towel and giving up.

For me, personally, I found the whole thing a bit of a convoluted and confusing mess with several different plot points all attempting to converge into one, until I found myself struggling to even understand what the hell exactly was going on.

Overall, for me at least, the whole thing just didn’t work and as such, is not something I can personally recommend.

1*




Much better is Edgar Cantero’s Meddling kids, a modern-day take on the old Scooby-Doo TV series that many of you reading this, like me, will have probably grown up with.

A few years ago, someone made a short fan film of The Power Rangers that looked at how those characters might have fared as they moved into adulthood, and Cantero’s book here attempts to do something very similar.

Years after solving their last and biggest mystery, a group of former crime-solving teens, and the descendant of the dog that was their canine companion, now each of them broken and maladjusted adults, return to the town that was their former holiday home to revisit the scene of their last case, convinced they left something unfinished.

But as they return to their old stomping ground and beginning their investigation anew, they soon discover that this time around the culprit is more than just yet another man in a mask in a thrilling adventure tale that is quite literally packed to the rafters with Lovecraftian undertones.

I really, really enjoyed this and can’t reccomend it enough. The book is lots of nostalgic fun, but more than that is also a bloody good read. What starts off as a pastiche of the old Scooby-Doo cartoons quickly develops into more of a homage, and is quite simply a cracking tribute that manages to do its source material proud.

4* out of 5

No comments: