Wednesday 21 August 2019

Books read in August part 3

Continuing my list of books read in August, books 21 and 22 of the year for me are the latest books in the Jack Caffrey series by popular crime novelist, Mo Hayder. 
As you can see, I’ve really been getting through a few books this month and making up for lost time, but these last two books were simply so addictive, I found them impossible to put down.  
The last few Jack Caffrey novels for me, it is fair to say, have been a bit of a disappointment. Ever since Hayder moved her titular detective inspector from his own native London to Bristol, his new stomping ground, it has almost felt a bit to me like Hayder has struggled to find Caffrey’s voice, but books 6 and 7 of the series, Poppet and Wolf respectively, are actually the first of her books in a long time to actually feel like Jack Caffrey novels. 
Both books are very cleverly written, with some neat twists and turns, and really do capture the feeling of the first couple of books - Birdman, and The Treatment. Poppet, in particular, is especially good - finally resolving something that has been hanging over the last three books a bit like a dark cloud, but Wolf is also a very good read.
I read both books in a couple of days each, and was really able to get my teeth back into the series with these last two entries. 
Together, they have done something I’d never thought they’d do, and restored my faith in Mo Hayder’s ability to write not just a good book, but a gripping and compelling thriller.
Both books come highly recommended, and I look forward to more in the series...



No comments: