Monday 3 August 2009

Vacation Day One: Dreams can come true..

Could not sleep very well last night as so excited at the prospect of being off for a week so played around with my Blog for awhile after updating ~ adding my Twitter to the site etc ~ then sat and read for half hour as there was little chance of me going to sleep. Started David Peace's 1977 and it is okay but not exactly brilliantly written, much like it's predecessor 1974, but it sems okay and I wanted to read it after the channel 4 series, Red Riding, earlier this year. Actually 1977 was the one book of the quartet that wasn't filmed for the series as it was seen as inconsequential to the story, so that made it especially of interest for me to read. But I am not convinced that David Peace is an especially good writer and I don't like the way this book jumps between two character's viewpoints each chapter with no initial explanation of whose eyes we are seeing events through. Still, it is fairly short so I will soon get through it and I can then go on to review it on Dooyoo so reading it is not a total loss!

Last night when I eventually got to sleep, I had another of my crazy dreams...not of Marco this time but still food based. I was doing some kind of exam and had to cook 3 courses a la Masterchef for a dinner party of food critics that included Jay Rayner, a regular guest on the competition each year and The Observer's highly regarded food critic. I should point out that I was NOT in Masterchef but simply cooking for a Catering exam! Anyway, I was supposed to have two people helping me but they disappeared after the starters had gone out leaving me to finish off the mains and dessert myself and because they had done only half the prep, I found myself running late and out of time until the critics decided they had waited long enough and walked out of the exam and the dining room. The only thing I can remember about what I was cooking was that the main course was medallions of pork served on cheesey potatoes with a wholegrain mustard sauce poured over the top and the whole thing topped with a charred tuna steak. Not exactly surf and turf and I am really not convinced that any of it went together but all I can say is thank frak it was just a dream as I wouldn't fancy trying to eat that and gawd alone knows what the critics might have said! What a bizarre dream and why on earth am I continuously dreaming food or chef related dreams at the moment? It would be nice to have a break from my chosen profession in my dreams as well as in real-life but that is obviously not meant to be. Looking forward to what I dream about tonight...

For those who don't know what Marco Pierre White, Angela Hartnett (not Harkness as I previously wrote) and Jay Rayner look like, here am some pictures...

No comments: