Tuesday 24 June 2014

Day 23: a little friendly authorly advice...

I saw this post on Facebook today from a fellow author I follow. Essentially it linked to an article entitled 'Know your limitations!'

The basic argument came from a line in a Clint Eastwood movie, and was used basically to help demonstrate that you should learn to accept certain weaknesses, both in your writing and in your life, and learn to focus and accentuate your strengths instead.

This is good advice.

There's a lot going on in my life at the moment, I feel like I'm having to juggle a lot of balls, but my writing is flowing well so I tend to focus on that.I have gone from working on three or four projects, to working on just one -  my Zombie apocalypse tale that may just stretch to another book yet, though that is trying to run before I can walk.

My other future projects include adapting a sci-fi short into a full novel, finishing off my Zombie fairy tales mash-up, and making headway on my nasty spider story.

None of these will be forgotten, all of these I will come to in time, it is just, right now, I have got a passion for my Zpoc and that is the most likely of my works-in-progress to be finished first!

So here's MY advice: by all means, know your limitations. Focus on your strengths and weaknesses and make sure you can identify them, but also have a set writing goal in mind. Try not to juggle too many balls at once and instead, work on finishing the book you are writing before you start another one. There is nothing wrong with hedging your bets and having two or three on the go - it's what most writers do, I've discovered - but if you start playing around with too many ideas at once, you'll never get anything finished.

That's Sparky's wise word of advice today.

Until tomorrow.....


No comments: