Tuesday 6 October 2015

Absent Without Leave...

So, I guess you could say it's been a while and once again, there must be a few of you out there - if there are actually any of you - who must've thought I'd given up the ghost as far as this Blog was concerned.
Not so.
Work life and stress and life took over and I just took an extended absence is all, but now I'm back and once more vowing to try and be more regular - behave, not like that!

The other day, someone started a fun game on Facebook. If you follow me on there, you might have seen me post it.
Here's the post ...

"Someone has suggested that for Halloween, you change your profile pic on your personal page to something that scared you as a kid - here's what I posted...
When I was a kid, what really scared me were aliens - the typical greys that typically have come to personify beings from outer space.
I remember reading all sorts of ghastly, grisly stuff and it didn't affect me, but the thought of aliens stealing into my bedroom late at night scared the absolute shit out of me.
                                           ...
One night, I read this UFO book of 'true abduction' stories - I sat up most of the night because I was afraid that if I went to sleep, aliens would come get me. I don't even remember how old I was, but I remember being irrationally terrified.
The closest I can come to describing how I felt is to say I felt like Christopher Walken's character in the film, Communion. The kind of things Whitley Streiber describes as happening, that was what I was afraid of.
When I first saw the cover of his book, that picture of the Grey on the front stirred up all sorts of memories of my childhood fears...
So that is why I have chosen the profile pic I have.
Now you know what scares this horror writer late at night, what scares you...?
Comment below with what scared you as a kid..."

Since then, I have remembered something else that scared me as a kid - John Carpenter's The Thing!

I remember watching it when I was growing up and only getting to the bit where the dog transforms before I had to turn it off!
I've watched it since, no problem, and consider it one of Carpenter's best, but back then - uh uh! No hosey way!


Which seems like as good a time as any to post this :

PINGU VS THE THING


So, like I said on Facebook, what scares you?



No comments: