Thursday 3 October 2019

October reads part two


Book 28 of this year is This Mitchell and Webb book. 
I should probably have learnt my lesson by now, but the sad fact is comedy books like this generally as a rule all seem to suffer from the same problem - namely that they’re just not that funny. 
Unfortunately this book is no exception.
Whilst I always quite enjoyed their sketch show when it was on, and kind of sort of always enjoyed Peep Show, this book just didn’t do it for me.
I guess their humour just doesn’t translate as easily onto the written page. 
Either that, or I’m getting old.
0/5



Meanwhile, book 29 is a Day of a Confession.
I remember quite enjoying The Day After Tomorrow (nothing to do with the film of the same name) and seem to remember picking this up at some stage as well. 
Unfortunately I didn’t really remember what this was about until I started re-reading it, but the more I read, the more it seemed familiar.
An American lawyer flies out to Rome to pick up his brother’s body after an explosion on a bus, but soon finds himself embroiled in a massive conspiracy involving the Vatican.
It’s a decent enough thriller, but it’s a lengthy read and there were lots of places where I started to get bored and started to think there were parts of this that could easily have been cut to make it a tighter read.
I think I remember now why I don’t really remember reading this - overall the book was a bit underwhelming and it certainly isn’t something I would choose to read again.
2/5

No comments: